Sunday, May 10, 2009

{Candy} Sushi

I kinda forgot I made these & wanted to share them with you! That's right, YOU. Well, finals are finished, Conor is graduated, the Derby has come & gone. I am now fully prepared to reenter the world of the blog. So hold on, my friends.
{Swedish Fish Sushi!}
A few weeks back some friends held a fish fry at their home/art studio & invited us all to come eat, play lawn games, & drink cocktails. We were asked to bring a side dish, so I brought Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Mac & Cheese {it was pretty much amazing} & made some candy sushi.
{"California" Rolls & a little "Sashimi" in the background}
For the rolls I made Rice Krispie Treats & flattened them out to make a few slabs of "rice." My fillings were Twizzlers, Gummi Worms, & Rips. I had to go the extra mile to find vegan candy because my sister does not eat "horse," aka Gelatin.

{Wrapped in Fruit Rollups}
Roll it all up & you've got yourself a prior-to-being-cut log o' sushi.

{Rolls + Sashimi}
I wrapped mine in Fruit Rollups before cutting for a little more color. Pretty.

For the sashimi I used Swedish Fish & more of the Rips, then wrapped little strips of Fruit Rollups around to hold it all together. Cute, right?
They were my fave & easiest to make.

{All packed up & ready to go!}
They were a huge hit & actually surprisingly tasty.
So no more complaints about not liking sushi, alright?

20 comments:

Megan said...

Oh my goodness, this looks so yummy! What a great idea!

Lou Lou said...

This is such an adorable idea! I love it!

Hopsy said...

These are too cute! When I first started reading the post I thought you meant you made the sour candy and I was so in awe, however these are even more of a work of art!

Heather Warren said...

very, very cute

jlc said...

Have you been stalking me even while being away from the bloggie world??

Swedish fish are def my fave!! They are gummi bears long lost cousin. :)

Callie Grayson said...

what a great idea, they are so cute!
I would love to try and make them. Thanks for sharing!!!

Life Abroad said...

Wow what a great idea. As a huge sushi fanatic, I will definitely have to bring these little candies to the next sushi-rolling party I attend!

quite contrary said...

Oh my gosh! So Cute! I have to do those one day : )

Aartee said...

oh those look like so much fun!

PinkSass said...

Seriously such a cute idea. Looks so yummy. I freakin love rice krispies treats!

CTB said...

Those look awesome!

Sarah said...

They are adorable!!! You're so clever!!! I love it! :) Glad you're all done with finals!!!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

OMW, Those are SOOO Cute!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

These are the best Miss Steak & Cakes, absolutely the coolest thing!

Have a wonderful week!
tp

Lacey said...

Your candy sushi is adorable! You are SO creative...I never would have thought of this and it looks delish!

And I'm so glad to hear you survived finals...I hope you get a little time off now!

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Your candy sushi is so cute! You are one clever girl. I'm going to have to make these some time. I know you're glad you finals are done. Yay for summer & chillin' by your sister's pool! Can I come? I'll bring the drinks...

lisagh said...

Ingenious!

tambride013010 said...

ADORABLE! My fiance LOVES sushi and candy! I have to suprise him one day!!

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest idea ever! I will have to give it a try.

tootie said...

Those are so cute! And they look tasty, too :)